All the 1970s - 80s Dope Riders, along with other of my comics, are in my anthology Awaiting the Collapse. The comics I've done from 2015 through 2020 are in my new anthology, A Fistful of Delirium. Both are available at www.paulkirchner.com. If you'd like to purchase Dope Rider merchandise, I’ve opened shops on some on-line stores. I have a Dope Rider shop at Red Bubble and have a Dope Rider Store at CafePress.com. Your patronage is most appreciated!

Friday, March 18, 2022

Dope Rider, "Simulation"

I'm intrigued by the idea that this world is a simulation like that in The Matrix, a program being run by some higher intelligence outside our reality. I also wonder about the source of creative ideas. It often feels that they come from outside of oneself, sometimes popping fully formed into one's mind in the middle of the night. Those thoughts inspired this episode.

On another subject, I feel that my art on Dope Rider has gotten better in recent years. Is that an obnoxious thing to say? Let me explain. When I got back to doing comics about 10 years ago, the quality of the Strathmore paper I have always used had declined. The company had been bought out and the manufacturing standards had not been maintained, as is so often the case. 

It used to be that the paper had a very hard and resilient surface; you could erase a mistake with an electric eraser, removing a thin layer of the paper, and still be left with a surface you could ink on. If you try that now, it's like inking on a paper towel. In addition, I found I could no longer ink with the Hunt's 22B nibs I used to use, as their sharp point scratched the surface of the paper and caused the lines to bleed. So I began inking with a fountain pen, a Noodler flex-nib. Its rounded point didn't tear the paper, but I could no longer make a really fine line when I felt it was needed.

A few years ago I came across a box of 70-year-old Eagle E-860 steel pen nibs, which don't scratch the paper. With these I can now produce fine lines when I want them. Through eBay, I have procured a supply that should last the rest of my life or until ideas stop popping into my old head.


2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul! What a great post!! Hey,..would you mind sharing a little secret with another illustrator? What style (stock/part number/model name) of Eagle Steel Nib do you use? I might like to try them out myself.

    Love your pen work too! Just great work!

    ReplyDelete